The Goring Gap Local History Society have produced a leaflet that describes some of the local historic landmarks of the village of Streatley.
it is reproduced here by kind permission of the society, with credit due to A.R. Mortimer for providing the text.
Stand on the bridge and look up the High Street. This is an ancient route across the Thames, the river forming the boundary between Wessex and Mercia. The top of the village was crossed by a Roman road from Silchester to Towchester. A few yards downstream of the bridge is a Roman causeway across the river which was usuable until Goring Lock was built in 1787. A ferry plied across the river at this point until 1837 when Goring and Streatley were connected by a bridge.
The houses lining the High Street date from Medieval to modern times and display a range of architectural styles, blending into a harmonius whole. Construction is of local materials, knapped flints with brick and occasional tile cladding.
This is just a sample of some of the names of the village over the years
click left and right to navigate